The term medical marijuana refers to the use of the entire unprocessed marijuana plant, or its basic extracts, to treat certain symptoms of diseases and other disorders. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not recognized or approved the marijuana plant as a medicine.
However, the scientific study of marijuana chemicals, called cannabinoids, has led to FDA approval of two pill-shaped medications that contain cannabinoids. It is possible that as the investigations continue more medications are approved.
Since the marijuana plant contains chemicals that can be useful for treating a wide variety of diseases and symptoms, many argue that its use should be legalized for medicinal purposes. More and more places have legalized marijuana clinic in Toronto for medicinal use.
What benefit could cannabinoids have as medicine?
- Currently, the two main cannabinoids of the marijuana plant that have a medicinal interest are THC and CBD.
- THC can increase appetite and reduce nausea. It can also reduce pain, inflammation (swelling and redness) and muscle control problems.
- Unlike THC, CBD is a cannabinoid that does not cause a high, that is, it does not alter the mind. It can be useful for reducing pain and inflammation and for controlling epileptic seizures, and it may even serve to treat mental illnesses and addictions.
- Many researchers, including researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), continue to explore the possible uses of THC, CBD and other cannabinoids for therapeutic purposes.
Scientists are also conducting clinical and preclinical trials with marijuana and its extracts to treat symptoms of diseases and other disorders, such as:
- Diseases that affect the immune system, including HIV AIDS and Multiple sclerosis (MS), which causes a gradual loss of muscle control
- Drug use disorders
- Mental disorders
Benefits of Cannabis and Medical Marijuana
To enumerate the benefits of cannabis we have to go back to 1964. The marijuana clinic in Toronto, together with its research group, described the fundamental molecules of marijuana and the endocannabinoid system of the human body that allowed its medicinal use.
At present, the efforts of researchers and the most important universities in the world are focused on getting to know in depth the medical marijuana for its therapeutic use. Research continues with new studies and clinical trials that demonstrate the benefits of medical cannabis to improve various medical problems.
Ailments that improve thanks to the benefits of therapeutic cannabis
Among the various ailments whose improvement has been demonstrated thanks to the benefits of medical cannabis include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s
- Fibromyalgia and pain
- Abstinence syndrome
- Chronic anxiety
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Crohn’s disease and other inflammatory bowel diseases
There are studies by marijuana clinic in Toronto that support cannabinoids, because of their potent anti-inflammatory properties, can relieve psoriasis symptoms, by inhibiting inflammation mediators, without causing cell toxicity.
All these and other benefits of cannabis medicine, scientifically proven, have been generating for more than twenty years a social movement in defense of the regulation for the legal use of these medicinal plants. Their claims go through the decriminalization of their use, both for recreational use and for therapeutic self-consumption.